Whatever you dream to do, be sure to do it well.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

It’s Not about Me. It’s about Them.


December 12, 2012. December 21, 2012. December 31, 2012. What do all these dates have in common? You already know. It’s the end of the world, folks! What is it with humanity and the world ending? Are we finally fed up with life? Are the depressed economies, the boneheads in government who offer no solutions, desensitization to violence, globalization, constant connectedness, instant gratification, mindless consuming, endless freak environmental disasters and wars, excessive boredom and shock antics, and you and me and everyone else finally catching up to us and we’re ready for the experiment that is humanity to be shut down? Been there, done that! Nothing new can surprise us or shake awake our sedated minds. Smells like a revolution is in order. But it’s not the world that needs changing, it’s you and me; it’s us. It’s time we live up to Ghandi’s endlessly repeated quote: “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” The thing about beautiful words is they strike but don’t often hit their target.

Last I checked, we haven’t ended world hunger and poverty, cured AIDS, made contact with ETs, commercialized flying cars, destroyed all nuclear arsenals, completely liberate ourselves from fossil fuels, achieve worldwide literacy, and I could go on forever and ever until my head explodes, but the point is this: something hasn’t been done yet, and we need to find out what it is and do it. And we don’t have to be geniuses because we are the experts of our lives and dreams. There are connections to make, people to meet, bonds to strengthen, gaps to close, communication barriers to break down, needs to focus on, understandings to reach, and lives to touch, rescue, love and hug.  So in the end, it’s not about me. It’s about them. The people in our lives, people outside our doors, outside our country—everyone else. 

Yeah, I want to make money, publish books that garner fame and recognition, be an excellent teacher, and create organizations that dismantle and create institutions, but all these things would mean nothing if I didn’t have love for my fellow human beings. So you know what excites me about life? Meeting new people. Because it means I discover another soul with whom I can make a possible connection. Now, I know can’t bond with everyone, but it’s still worth it whether those connections die or thrive. It doesn’t have to be anything extravagant like sharing a life or death experience with someone for it to be meaningful. 

Naima, if you're reading this. Contact me. :)
Sometimes it’s as fleeting as a meeting on a train. I met a kind, lovely young lady on the subway who proceeded to tell me about her name and its origin. Naima. My stop cut our conversation short. I hopped off and realized I hadn’t gotten her contact info and instantly regretted it. I won’t ever see her again, but I still remember her, and those brief five minutes were meaningful to me. Take a leap and talk to a stranger. Not everyone is an ax murderer. (Should I put up a disclaimer somewhere, hmmm?)

Wait! Where’s the part about writing? Errrr… that will come tomorrow since I punk’d out on Tuesday. :)

Thanks for reading,
CSS

No comments: